This is my go-to recipe when I need to serve a kid friendly dish, that I know parents will also like too! The prep is less than 15 minutes, and the rest is just 30 minutes in the oven. My favorite mix of herbs for this is herbs de provence (think Thanksgiving.) You can try variations with fresh basil or parsley, which also pair well with cheddar cheese.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Over low heat, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in herbs de provence. Add flour, and whisk until smooth.
- Increase heat, and add sour cream, constantly whisking, for 2 minutes. Lower heat if mixture begins to bubble. Thin it out with the milk, and add cheddar cheese. Whisk until smooth and melted. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, gently combine pasta and cheese mixture. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, and a little bit of additional shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and enjoy!