This is a bright, fresh tasting salad that is perfect all year round. The couscous, chickpeas and cashews make it substantial enough for dinner all on it’s own – just pair with toasted sourdough bread to make it a meal. This recipe calls for dried apricots – be sure to check that they are unsweetened for the best results. Couscous can be prepared just fine with water, but I find it is more flavorful if you can substitute veggie broth for water when cooking it.
Note, this recipe is a delicious vegan recipe, however vegetarians who consume cheese may sprinkle Asiago on top at the end, if desired.
Vegan Couscous Chickpea Salad with Fruit and Nuts
- pearled couscous - 1 1/3 cup
- orange - 1
- lemon - 1/2
- dried apricots - 4 oz
- roasted and salted cashews - 1/2 cup
- green onions - 4
- fresh parsley - 1/4 cup
- fresh spinach - 4 cups
- garlic, minced - 1 teaspoon
- chickpeas, drained and rinsed - (1) 14 oz can
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- asiago cheese, shredded (optional) - 1/2 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare couscous according to package directions and set aside.
- Chop dried apricots, cashews, green onion, garlic, and parsley. Combine all in a large mixing bowl.
- Add couscous, spinach, and olive oil.
- Over mixing bowl, juice orange and lemon
- Toss with salt and pepper to taste, and serve on plates. Sprinkle with Asiago shredded cheese, if desired (omit if vegan.)