This vegan lentil salad recipe is great as a meal all on it’s own. I often serve it with quesadillas, or crusty bread and dipping oil. Lentils are another big staple in our house. They are an excellent source of a few really important nutrients that kids miss out on. Lentils are rich in folate, fiber, copper, phosphorus and manganese, iron, protein, vitamin B1, pantothenic acid, zinc, potassium and vitamin B6, just to name a few.
This is the perfect recipe to incorporate olive oil – no heat involved in the dressing, which makes it perfect for keeping the oil’s healthy benefits in tact.
Vegan Lentil Salad Recipe
- lentils - 1.5 cups
- water - 7.5 cups
- bay leaf - 1 large
- celery, chopped - 2 stalks
- carrots, chopped - 2
- red onion, chopped - 1/2 cup
- fresh parsley, chopped - 3 tablespoons
- olive oil - 1/2 cup
- fresh lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
- garlic gloves, minced - 2
- dried marjoram - 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin - 1 teaspoon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils in water for about 15 minutes. Drain well. Make sure to discard the bay leaf.
- While lentils are cooking, stir together all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in lentils, and serve at room temperature.