This vegan thyme tofu in white wine sauce recipe is a little bit different. It veers away from the traditional Asian inspired sauces you’ll often find tofu in. The dish relies on heart healthy grape seed oil, dry white wine, fresh thyme, garlic, and my favorite green veggies. It’s very flavorful, but not spicy. Spicy sauces are some of my favorites to have with tofu, but regrettably, not my kids’ favorite yet. I’ll make this when I want them to get a protein packed meal, with very little complaints. They love this dish, served under a bed of udon noodles. The noodles really help to soak up the sauce!
Vegan Thyme Tofu in White Wine Sauce Recipe
- firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes - 1 pound
- garlic gloves, minced - 4
- fresh thyme, chopped - 3 tablespoons
- canola or grapeseed oil - 5 tablespoons
- green onions, sliced - 2
- sliced mushrooms - 8 ounces
- tops of asparagus - 1 bunch
- snow peas, halved - 8 ounces
- dry white wine - 2/3 cup
- corn starch - 1 tablespoon
- veggie stock - 2/3 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Udon noodles or brown rice, cooked - 4 servings
- Prepare rice or noodles according to directions.
- In a large bowl. combine tofu, garlic, thyme, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- When tofu is finished marinating, transfer all of the pans contents to a large skillet on low heat, and brown tofu lightly on each side. Try to watch the heat, as higher temperatures can cause tofu to stick to the pan. When done, set aside. You may want to further season with salt at this point.
- Using the same pan, heat remaining 3 tablespoons of oil on low to medium heat. First cook the green onions for about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes, and finally add the snow peas and asparagus to cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in white wine and veggie broth.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. When blended, fill measuring up up with water to reach 1/3 of a cup of liquid.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into pan and mix gently.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Pour mixture equally over each plate of rice or noodles.
- Top each plate tofu.