This vegetarian broccoli stuffed shells recipe is perfect for kids who balk at the broccoli stalk. The broccoli is finely chopped and added straight to the cheese mixture, which I’ve found appeals to pickier kiddos at my table. This recipe is convenient in that you can keep the frozen broccoli in your freezer, much longer than fresh. I love that this dinner is not complicated on the ingredients, and heavy on delicious red sauce. It’s the perfect opportunity to use less cheese on top if you prefer less cheesy shells.
Vegetarian Broccoli Stuffed Shells Recipe
- jumbo pasta shells - 1 box (aproximately 18 shells)
- cottage cheese - 15 ounces
- frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained - 10 ounces
- mozzarella cheese, shredded - 3 cups
- parmesan cheese, grated - 3/4 cup
- eggs, beaten - 1
- parsley, dried - 2 tablespoons
- pasta sauce (your choice) - 26 ounces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- While you are waiting for the oven to heat up, grease a 9x13 casserole pan.
- Cook pasta according to directions in package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mix in cottage cheese, egg, broccoli, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup of the parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper.
- When everything is well mixed, spoon about 2 tablespoons of mixture into each shell.
- Spread about one cup of the pasta sauce at the bottom of your casserole dish, and gently place shells into pan, with no overlap.
- Pour remaining sauce over shells, and top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!