This vegetarian cauliflower and cheese soup recipe is pure comfort food. Cauliflower often gets a bad rap because it is a bit bland on it’s own…not in this soup! The caraway seeds, chili powder, and tangy cream cheese really make this a flavorful soup. I make this with 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder, as my kids aren’t big on heat. It’s just a enough to give it something special. Feel free to increase this to up to 1.5 tablespoons for a nice spicy version. The beans in this soup make it substantial, and great for a meal on it’s own. I’ll often serve this with my simple cornbread. You can make it while the soup is cooking!
Vegetarian Cauliflower and Cheese Soup Recipe
- canola or grapeseed oil - 2 tablespoons
- onions, chopped - 2
- garlic cloves, minced - 4
- caraway seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- oregano - 1 tablespoon
- chili powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- cannelini beans - (1) 14.5 ounce can
- veggie broth - 3 cups
- cauliflower, cut into florets - 1 head
- green bell pepper - 1
- mexican blend cheese, shredded - 2 cups
- cream cheese, softened, cut into cubes - 4 ounces
- green chiles, diced - (1) 4.5 ounce can
- In a large pot, cook onions and garlic under low to medium heat in oil (about 4 minutes.)
- Add beans, cauliflower, pepper, green chiles broth, caraway seeds, oregano, chili powder, cream cheese, mexican blend cheese, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place in bowls and enjoy! Want to round out this meal? Serve with a big salad or my simple cornbread.