Growing up, this pasta dish was served with everything. It is absolute heaven for garlic lovers out there. Like many Sicilian dishes, it’s loaded with it. Every time I make it, it brings back memories of my mother’s kitchen. My whole kitchen fills up with the aroma of basil and garlic.
Take care to make this with vegetarian parmesan. Most parmesan contains animal rennet (aka animal enzyme,) however a few brands do not. BelGioioso is a common one that you find at the grocery store. Make sure to keep the olive oil on low heat to avoid it smoking. Olive oil gives a wonderful flavor to this dish, however overheating it will destroy all of the health benefits of the oil.
I’ll often serve this with broccoli, and dinner is done!
Vegetarian Garlic Basil Linguine Recipe
- Prepare linguine according to package instructions, drain, and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, in a medium skillet, heat olive oil under low to medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in basil, and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Toss pasta with garlic mixture. Stir in fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon.
- Mix in parmesan, and let set for a few minutes to give the parmesan time to soften.
- Transfer to plates, and enjoy!